Of course we have wonderful Mother’s Day gifts here at Birds & Beasley’s! But maybe your mom’s love language is quality time or acts of service? Here are some great, free or nearly free ways for you to celebrate your mom – Almanac provided 10 creative ideas.
Offer yard and garden services.
– If you’re local, give Mom a “gift certificate” for your family’s yard and garden services. Help her by laying down mulch. Put the “certificate” in a flower pot with spring-planted bulbs which flower in summer.
Decorate your mom’s door or front porch!
If you’re local, you can have fun decorating your mom’s front door with streamers, special signs, a wreath, and flowers! (Birds & Beasleys can help with porch decorations, for example out wind chimes are lovely!) If you have kids, get them involved! Mom or grandma will love the surprise.
Of course, flowers and plants are always a delight. If you’re local, deliver plants to her porch in person. If you’re not local, there’s always delivery in most places (but order well enough ahead!).
Cook for Mom or set up a virtual brunch date.
- If your mother is living with you, breakfast in bed is always a classic and appreciated. Something simple is fine for this, such as toast or a croissant with jam or fruit and a cup of coffee or tea. Or, if she’s not fond of eating in bed, how about preparing a sit-down brunch? Here are 15 delicious brunch ideas. If you’re not with mom in person, how about a virtual brunch date?
- If your mom is local, drop off a casserole dinner. It’s great comfort food, and you can put it all together to drop off on her porch! See 15 casserole recipe ideas.
- Or, bake a cake! Traditionally, children in England always baked a cake for their Mother’s Day. If you like this tradition, here’s a truly delicious (and better than boxed) cake recipe: Chocolate Mousse Cake. We also love Nana’s Funny Cake.
Give your mom a long phone call or put on a virtual talent show!
- Talk to her (or videochat) and make her laugh. Perhaps throw in some good “mom jokes.” All most moms want is time with you.
- If the young kids are involved, put on a talent show for Grandma! It can be simple! Sing a song, show off some gymnastics, play an instrument.
Watch a movie or show together, side by side.
- If you’re all at home in one place, have a movie that night, complete with theater treats.
- If you’re in separate locations, watch the same movie on your computers at the same time. Or, start a marathon of your favorite TV series while indulging in a glass of wine or cup of tea.
(Did you know? Netflix also has a way to watch together online. If you and your mom have a Netflix account and Chrome installed on her laptop or desktop, you can watch a movie together! There is even a group chat function for commenting live during the movie from wherever you are in the world. See Netflix Party.)
Get creative: Make Mom a video, a music playlist, or a piece of art!
- Record a video from all of the children. They can each say “Happy Mother’s Day” and why they appreciate her. You can always use iMovie to splice videos together on your phone.
- Or, make a tape or a music playlist. You could gather calming songs for bedtime, such as the sound of the seas. Or, you could gather her very favorite songs from the era that she loves most. (If your mom has an iPhone, create a special iTunes playlist that will get emailed to her.)
- How about a special work of art for Mom? For example, paint the outside of a terra-cotta flower pot and fill it with garden seeds and a card. Or, make a beautiful photo frame with your family photo inside. You can find many ideas on Pinterest and elsewhere on the Web.
Get outside! Go for a stroll in the park or how about packing mom a picnic?
- Fresh air always lifts the spirit. There’s plenty of room to spread out and enjoy nature! Spring is a wonderful time to visit a park.
- How about packing a simple picnic? If mom’s living nearby, drop off a picnic basket on her porch!
- If you’re living together, pack a cooler for a beautiful drive through the countryside. Here are great picnic food ideas.
Make a homemade gift!
You don’t need to go out to a store and buy a gift. Mothers love gifts from the heart.
Take a virtual tour of a museum or garden together!
Even if you’re not together, the wonders of technology make so much possible today! More and more museums are opening up their “walls” to offer virtual tours during this time!
- Set up a Mother’s Day date for you and your mom to visit the Louvre in Paris! Or how about the Vatican in Rome? Or, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City?
- Would you rather take in the marvels of nature? Check out this Nature Conservancy virtual field trip in Oklahoma!
- Is mom a garden lover? The famous Holland tulip farm Keukenhof has created a virtual tulip tour since they can’t welcome visitors in person! You could also visit Monet’s Gardens in France to see the waterlillies! Or, how about taking a virtual trip to Hawaii to see tropical flowers?
Make your own card.
- Don’t forget to send a card in advance! In our home, it’s a tradition to make a homemade card every year. Moms love homemade! Here’s one way to make Homemade Note Cards.
- Wondering what to write in the card? How about sharing a funny story or happy memory of you and your mom? It will make her smile!
Visit our Downtown Helena location or contact us with any questions today!